DRUMMING INTUITION

DRUMMING INTUITION

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What a Rush!!!


Way back in 1984 I received something totally awesome in the mailbox. It was from my drumming hero (back then).......Neil Peart. Part of what I wrote him will become self evident as you peruse this postcard below. Neil had a tremendous influence on my playing back then. I probably played along with Rush's "Moving Pictures" several hundred times in the basement (bless my Mother's patient heart). Part of my motivation for contacting Neil back then was to try desperately to convince him to do some kind (any) kind of drum clinic at brother Bob Gatzen's music shop near Hartford, Connecticut. I hand wrote and mailed a two pager which apparently Neil enjoyed and in return I very unexpectedly received this:

I'd love to personally thank Neil for all of those fond memories in my basement (bucket list item #2112). Due to his influence, in part, I have achieved a level of percussive proficiency that allows me to play in various venues and assorted opportunities while having a lot of fun. With a life long career in architecture I've never had to play for monetary gain yet I still get to play at least twice a week. I guess I've enjoyed the best of both worlds. Best wishes, Neil!


Jim Richardson

PS: Should anyone wish to contact me regarding this postcard or to correspond with me personally, my email address remains: newnormaljames@gmail.com (No spam or off-topic inquires please)

No comments:

Post a Comment